This is not a meatless recipe, but could be adapted to be - just leave out the chicken and replace with your favorite bean!
4-5 small to medium Zucchinis
1 cup shredded chicken
8 oz Tomato sauce
1/2 cup salsa (your favorite - I used Newman's Own mild)
Homemade Taco Seasoning
1/3 cup water
3/4 cup Shredded cheddar cheese (or as much as you want:)
For Tomato Sauce:
1. Place tomato sauce and salsa in a pot.
2. Let simmer (low to low medium heat) while you prepare the boats and chicken.
1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
2. Wash and slice zucchini in half
3. Use a melon baller or teaspoon (what I used) to scoop out the centers.
4. Keep the centers to be added with chicken mixture.
5. Place in 9 x 13 baking dish.
1. In a pan place shredded chicken, taco seasoning, zucchini centers and water.
2. Cook over medium heat until chicken has absorbed all the liquid/spices, then reduce heat.
Putting it together:1. Place chicken mixture into the center of each zucchini (be generous:).
2. Pour tomato sauce over zucchini.
3. Top with shredded cheese.
4. Bake for 20-30 minutes*
*I baked mine for 30 minutes and the zucchini still had a little crunch - you don't want to bake it too long or it will be mushy
Step 1: Rinse off Zucchini. Slice in half lengthwise.
Step 2: Use a melon baller (or a measuring spoon) to scrape out the inside of the zucchini. Set aside what you scrap out - don't throw it away!
Step 3: Place Zucchini in a 9x13 baking dish.
Step 4: Cook chicken. Add zucchini and seasoning. Make tomato sauce.
Step 5: Place chicken mixture into zucchini boats.
Step 7: Back @375 F for 20-30 minutes (or longer if you want a "softer" zucchini boat)
*Serve with sour cream and tortilla chips!