Friday, January 18, 2013

These Side Dishes Could Take Center Stage

 I try to do a weekly post of a meatless main dish for various reasons. One reason being that it's a healthy and cheap alternative to a meat dish. However, I do make meat dishes several times a week. I recently made a roasted chicken. I also made two side dishes that I just had to post because they turned out so well. Don't stop reading here, but one of the sides was Brussels sprouts (gasp!). I know that generally people automatically think of Brussels sprouts as the worst tasting vegetable, but it's simply not true! Try this recipe - you'll be surprised. The other side was roasted cauliflower.  Cauliflower is a great alternative/substitute for potatoes.

I based my Brussels sprouts recipe from this one at allrecipes.com. However, I did tweak it a bit.

Honey Mustard Brussels Sprouts

Ingredients

1 bag froze Brussels sprouts
2 Tbsp honey mustard (your favorite brand will do - I used Newman's Own Lite Honey Mustard)
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp dill weed (dry)
salt and pepper to taste

Instructions

1. Cook Brussels sprout according to bag instructions
2. Once cooked, drain excess liquid
3. Toss in honey mustard, onion powder, salt and pepper
4. Enjoy!

Just a few ingredients made these Brussels sprouts so good!





Roasted Cauliflower

Ingredients

1 head cauliflower
1 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1 tsp red pepper flakes
salt and pepper to taste

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 500 F
2.Rinse and chop cauliflower into uniform pieces and place into a bowl
3. Melt butter and pour onto the cauliflower
4. Add garlic powder, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper
5. Toss/stir to coat evenly
5. Bake for 15 minutes, let cool slightly and enjoy!

* I forgot to take pictures of the cauliflower, but believe me when I say it was delicious!:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate