Friday, September 16, 2011

Bananas for Bananas....

Ok, so oddly enough I can't eat raw bananas. Don't ask me why because I don't know, but my twin sister can't either. However, I LOVE bananas (how did that happen?). Thankfully, I can eat them cooked! So I try to find recipes that use bananas so I can get my fix. I used this recipe as a base but changed a lot. This is the link to the original recipe.
http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1625,144173-244197,00.html

Here is the recipe with my changes.

Whole Wheat Banana Cake
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup oats
1 cup mashed bananas
2 tbsp veg. oil
1 egg
1/4 brown sugar*
1/4 tsp salt
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup coconut milk*
1/2 cup crushed walnuts*
1/2 tsp cinnamon*

Topping*:
1/8 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp vegetable sticks (i.e. smart balance baking sticks)
1/4 cup walnuts

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Mash bananas. Add egg, oil, milk, salt, baking powder, brown sugar, cinnamon, walnuts, oats, and flour. 
Mix well.
*In a separate bowl, soften butter. Add brown sugar to make paste or crumbs. Mix in walnuts.
Use nonstick 8 inch cake pan*. Pour batter into pan. Spread brown sugar/walnut topping on top.
Bake for 20 minutes or until knife comes out clean.

*The asterisk denotes my changes. I'm currently trying to avoid dairy for my baby and like I posted before, I try to refrain from using refined sugar. You could probably use agave (instead of brown sugar) in this recipe and forgo the topping for a much healthier version, but I haven't tried that...yet:) Also, you could probably use applesauce instead of oil! Oh so many possibilities! The original recipe was for muffins, but I hate cleaning muffin pans so went with the cake pan instead. Also, I wanted to add some yum-ness thus added a topping:)
It turned out pretty good. I think it was a little dry....maybe applesauce would be better. Plus using dairy milk would probably help too....If you want to get really crazy I think some chocolate chips would be good in it too!!
Let me know what you think when you try this!

1 comment:

  1. YOU HAVE A BLOG! This is great, I'm subscribing. Maybe this means we can actually be a part of each others lives...ugh, I miss you friend! I wish I didn't live in the stinking middle of no where, because I'd love to have a cup of tea with you, while eating one of these yummy treats, and holding your sweet boy. I am aware that this would probably require more than two hands, but besides the point. I miss you!

    ReplyDelete

Translate